Culmination, sort of

Below is a video that culminates the end of the semester and the Dreamscape Project created by myself and my classmate Joanna Nawn.  You can see her blog here and her portfolio here.

There is much to talk about regarding to production of this animation namely the amount of planning required to make a successful animation.  On my end, storyboarding was an integral part of planning the scenes and helping me make decisions as far as pacing, action and camera angles.

Many of the shortcomings and hiccups can be chalked up to inexperience and getting acquainted with a newer version of Maya and incidental issues with the recently severed relationship between Autodesk and Nvidia and procuring a full license for rendering with mental ray.  Despite this and ultimately being unable to render before the deadline, this has been a valuable learning experience that I’ll take with me to future projects.  We plan on rendering the animation after ironing a couple of minor issues, so please come back in the future.



Project Update – Nov. 02

As for the last few weeks,  I have been concentrating on a particular object of interest for the upcoming animation and sequentially an upcoming TransMedia Narratives project.  This object of  interest is a manhole cover. It came about in a discussion about how it may be used as a narrative device and took off as its own kind of beast, requiring a lot of thought in modeling one as three interlocking pieces that can in theory, be milled out or 3d printed.

Screenshot (3)

Transparent side view of the cover.

How the pieces fit together.

When planning out the object, I drew up some illustrations to help me plan how it may fit together and some designs inspired by the Voynich Manuscript. that I want to implement on the surface through the use of a displacement map.


Moving forward, I plan on using a displacement map to sculpt the final design onto the surface and prepare the model for use in fabrication.

First Real Steps

Here is my attempt at a true walk cycle using a pre -rigged character: Dumbu.  My objective was to learn about the different mechanisms utilized in a more or less complete rig and begin animating  the character to understand how they work and learn of any limitations I may run across.  I carefully studied a number of resources to study nuances in walking and  I found the online tool  created by Bio Motion Lab to be most invaluable (  It features a number of sliders that allow you to see subtle differences between the male and female gait, as well as factors such as weight and emotional states.



At first glance, the outliner seemed very intimidating, but I was able to quickly navigate the different groups and determine which nodes I were able to manipulate by clicking on the various control geometry and using either the rotate or move tools.

My approach was to work from the ground up and refine as I go, being mindful of basic walk cycle concepts from traditional animation such as contact, recoil, passing and highpoint, the center of gravity, and secondary animation.


Screenshot (4)

Here’s a look at the graph editor, which I used to refine the animation, each color representing a range of motion, either in rotation or translation, across the x, y, and z axes.

The appearance of the sine wave represents smooth motion which us desired for a successful walk cycle.

There were a few mistakes I’ve made that would’ve been alleviated by being more mindful of the number of frames in my animation; the basic cycle was created in 60 frames and should have been created in 48, which would have made the walk a little more natural in speed.  Overall, I and happy with the result for a first go.